Monday 17 November 2008

different feeling

This was my uni - so-called my 2nd home, I spent 5 years of my life here -- University of Wollongong the name. Wollongong is a small suburb about 80 km south of Sydney, NSW. It wasn't even my first choice of uni, but I'm glad I picked that .. it was far from the big city life, you won't see much of life after 6pm everyday, except Thursday where we called shopping night, all the shops would remain open 'till 9pm.

I like this type of uni, instead of all faculties in 1 tall building, different department will have its own separate building, it spread out in big land with lots of green field and beautiful scenery to enjoy. I could settle in the middle of that field forever, specially during autumn or spring .. watching ducks swimming around at the pond. I could never find any of that here in Jakarta.

- Health and Science Building -

So yesterday -- 'till yesterday I never knew that there is an open space uni in Jakarta .. different faculty has its own building. My friends took me to Universitas Pelita Harapan and gave me a short tour and it took me by surprise. Wow - a very different kind of uni is actually here in Jakarta !!! Well, It's not actually located in Jakarta, it's about 20-30 mins out of Jakarta. I don't think Jakarta has any empty space to build this open space university like this.

- doesn't even feel like in Indonesia -


- international standard soccer field -


Very nice indeed! And seriously in Karawaci, we don't feel like we're actually in Indonesia, it feels like we are in some foreign country, it gives you a total different feeling -- and just about 10 mins ago, I received an email from my boss' secretary that he'll be going for Legal Workshop in Wollongong end of this month -- huaaaa, please take me with you, Pak.

Wollongong, I miss you dearly! This was my home for 2 years, I spent my final year, finishing my final project here. Our unit was on the bottom floor and the first window from the balcony was my room. I could see dogs running around in the field from outside the balcony almost every afternoon .. I miss the view and the peacefulness.

2 comments:

Wollongong Council Ninja said...

Hello to you from Wollongong. It is Tuesday 18th November 2008 around mid day. There is a slight breeze coming in off the ocean that smells of clean ozone. The birds are chirping in the trees outside my window. The sun is shining but its not too hot - around 25C. Just perfect day. I will do some work on my laptop, have a swim and then go to a yoga class later tonight. Thank you for appreciating my town of Wollongong too. Yes, it is dull in many ways compared to an exciting big city but we do have a quality of life and a nice pace which those who have been lucky enough to experience it never forget. Many of us in Wollongong love having the international students living here as you all add so much to the quality of our life as well. Wollongong has slowly started to become a bit more sophisticated as a result of the large numbers of overseas students living here. If you come back to Wollongong please email me and we will invite you to our house for dinner.I am just sorry we did not know how much you loved Wollongong and had you to dinner when you were here!

anett said...

thank you for your comment Christine .. Wollongong was and still is like 2nd home to me, it was the best 5 years if my life. I wish to go back there someday :) I miss it so much
And thank you very much for your dinner invitation.