Tuesday 8 July 2008

Bookworm

Bookworm -- that could be a new nick name for me now. I wasn't a book fan when I was younger, in fact I didn't own any books 'till in high school. Uni life forced me to read lots of thick text book, that's how I grew into loving books. I don't have any specific genre of book that I like, as long it's not horror, thriller, corny and too confusing, I'm cool with that. But if I have to choose, I prefer literature. I'm so into Chinese literature 'cos of this book, in title of Falling Leaves (落葉歸根) which coincidently has the same title as one of Lee Hom's songs. I read it back in 2003 and now I have the entire collections of Adeline Yen Mah.

Her new book is coming in 2009 -- "China Land of Dragons and Emperors".

Plot:

Do you know why the opening time for the Beijing Olympics was set at 8.08 pm on 8 August 2008? What are the secrets guarded by the silent terracotta army inside the First Chinese Emperor's tomb?

This book will introduce you to the most famous people and events in China during the last 2200 years. Meet the emperor who loved a woman too much, and the admiral whose fleet was so big it blocked out the sun. Discover for yourself the meaning of dragons and why you should never give a Chinese man a green hat. Be amazed at China's many inventions, from silk, paper, printing and porcelain to crossbows, stirrups, matches, cast iron, steel and gunpowder.

Another fave is Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Kite Runner is now a major Motion Picture. it's still pretty much literature but very much different than Adeline Yen Mah Chinese Literature. This story taken place in Pakistan, about the story of Amir, a boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who is who is haunted by the guilt of betraying his childhood friend Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistan through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the rise of the Taliban regime.

I was introduced to this book by my idol himself Lee Hom. He read this throughout his journey in Japan. It was an amazing, powerful at the same time really sad and disturbing. Worth to read to those of you who enjoy books so much.

His latest book called "A Thousand Splendid Sun" is another good book. Once I had it in my hand, I couldn't stop reading it through the end.

"If knowledge acquired from history is the truest education, then this book is the best present I can give you."
- adeline yen mah -

1 comment:

H. HOMies said...

Count me in, hahaha.. But I don't really like bookworm recently, I perfer bibliophile ^^.

Oh, I didn't know she is having a new book soon, I think I have all her collections as well(I told you before, right?), I didn't really pay much attention on her lately, because I am falling in love with a series call The number 1 ladies detective agency, something like that, perhaps you can check it out if you haven't read it yet.