Wednesday 15 April 2009

General Election

Our General Election was held on 9 April 2009, one day before Good Friday - crucial ceremony for Christians. It was raised lots of cons but yet the government didn't seem to care to postpone it. But good thing was that 9 April was declared Public Holiday, so we had long weekend.

General Election held every 5 years, it was started with 3 parties and now we have 42 parties fighting for seats in parliament. It was madness, the campaign period was massive with different colours and confusing attributes promoting themselves, I had no idea who or which to vote .. I just follow my nose.

The election paper used to be as big as half A4 paper with 3 parties logo printed on it, now with 42 parties plus names and pictures of each party representatives, 1 paper was even bigger than LH's Music-Man concert poster, where we received 3 sheets. It was already too difficult to just open the paper in the small "private" space. When I was "IN" there, one of my neighbours said "Vote wisely, it is more difficult than any exams" LOL!!

This would be my fourth election, we have to be 17 years to have the rights to vote. My first election was back in high school, 2nd one when I was in Australia .. where bunch of Indo students in my dorm went into friend's room and we voted together, 3rd and 4th were here. Well, since I'm so not into political stuffs, I didn't really excited in all those elections I've been -- beside I didn't know anything about those parties though whoever I voted, I really hope he/she can brings changes for the best to this country. But after 4 elections I participated, sadly I have lost hope with this country.

Next election will be Presidential Election in July .. who will it be? Let's wait and find out then.

I managed to snap couple of pics during the election.

-the small box space supposed to give privacy -- so not!-

- the election paper -- we received 3 sheets of this paper size -

- proof that I've used my rights to vote. Sigh, why it has to be purple? -

No comments: